Twilio has agreed to pay settlement amount of $10 million to resolve the class action. The lawsuit claims that the California Twilio recorded the phone calls and messages, hence violated f the California call recording laws.
Number of settlements:
Two settlements had been made, each including consumers who made or received a phone call or sent or received a text message. The accounts of consumers was related with Homejoy, Handy, or Trulia, and recorded by Twilio.
However, California has the strictest privacy laws in the country and the state’s constitution responsible for the right to privacy to customers. And, California call recording laws reflect the attitude of state on the right to privacy on call recordings without consent.
The class action claims that the Twilio allegedly violated the California law of Privacy Act by recording phone calls and text messages for Trulia.
Name of the plaintiff:
The plaintiff Angela Flowers said in an argument that she and other consumers were not given any sign or warning before recording.
On the other side, the defendant, Twilio has denied any wrongdoing despite settling the claim against them. Instead, the settlement will allow them to avoid the costs and risks of litigation.
However, according to the Trilua unwanted calls settlement, consumers whose phone call were recorded will receive an estimated payment of $64.30. And those whose text message recorded will receive an amount of $8.04.
Note: The estimates of payment mention above may not be the final, may vary according to the settlement awards.
Further, the Class Members who want to exclude themselves from the settlement can do so before April 30, 2019.
Who are eligible?
The residents of California who received calls or text messages sent by Twilio between the following time periods are eligible for claim.
- Made or received a phone call that Twilio recorded for Homejoy between April 21, 2010 and March 31,2016
- A phone call that Twilio recorded for an account linked to Handy between April 21, 2010 and June 29, 2017
- Sent or received a text message recorded for an account linked to Homejoy between April 21, 2010 and March 31, 2016
- Text message that Twilio recorded for an account linked to Trulia between April 21, 2010 and April 26, 2018
- Sent or received a text message that Twilio recorded for Handy between April 21, 2010 and April 25, 2016.
Up to $64.
Details of the filed case:
Flowers, et al. v. Twilio Inc., et al.,
Case No. RG16804363,
in the Superior Court for the State of California,
County of Almeda
Flowers v. Twilio Settlement Administrator
c/o KCC Class Action Services LLC
P.O. Box 404103 Louisville,
KY 40233-4103 (855) 256-1969 Class Counsel